Still No Solution To UAW Strike In Sight

The plea from Ford chairman William Clay Ford Jr. went out this week to urge striking workers to end their historic walkout stressing that the company’s future — and workers’ livelihoods — are on the line.

In his initial public comments since the strike, the great-grandson of company founder Henry Ford said the unprecedented UAW strike that began on September 15 has put the automaker at a crossroads.

“Choosing the right path isn’t just about Ford’s future and our ability to compete. This is about the future of the American automobile industry,” he said.

Ford opened up to the media at the visitors center at the historic Rouge manufacturing complex, the site of one of the bloodiest labor battles in U.S. history.

The chairman’s appeal seemed directly aimed at UAW employees, bypassing their union leaders, whose confrontational strike strategy includes keeping automakers “wounded” for months and creating so-called operational chaos.

“The UAW leaders have called us the enemy in these negotiations. But I will never consider our employees as enemies,” said Bill Ford, 66, who said that he considers many union members to be close personal friends.

“This should not be Ford vs UAW. It should be Ford and the UAW vs Toyota, Honda, Tesla and all the Chinese companies that want to enter our home market,” he said.

“Toyota, Honda, Tesla and the others are loving this strike because they know the longer it goes on, the better it is for them,” he added. “They will win and all of us will lose.”

But UAW President Shawn Fain chooses to disagree. “It’s not the UAW and Ford against overseas automakers. It’s autoworkers everywhere against corporate greed,” Fain said in a statement.

“If Ford wants to be the all-American auto company, they can pay all-American wages and benefits. Workers at Tesla, Toyota, Honda, and others are not the enemy — they’re the UAW members of the future,” Fain said in a statement.

About 34,000 UAW members — 24% of members employed by Detroit automakers — have walked out at six assembly plants and 38 parts distribution facilities run by General Motors, Ford and Stellantis.

The strike has had a ripple effect across the industry, causing layoffs across the supplier network and even putting non-striking UAW members on furlough.

Automakers say they’re offering record contracts, including raises above 20%, benefit improvements, and increased job security. A Ford executive said last week the company had reached its limit.

OUR THOUGHTS

It’s not clear how or when the strike will end, but it appears that the two opposing sides need to try to find a more workable common ground on which to deliver the pay conditions demanded by workers while appeasing the carmakers at the same time. 

More Articles for You

Goodwood Revival To Celebrate Maserati’s Racing Centenary With A Dozen Legendary Classics

Celebrating its 28th year, the Goodwood Revival (18-20 September) will mark the centenary of Maserati’s first major triumph at the …

Tyler Reddick In A Toyota Wins the Daytona 500

For the first time since 2020, Toyota is celebrating a victory in the Daytona 500 with Tyler Reddick. The California-native …

New Study Reveals UK Is A Nation Of Road Ragers

As millions across the UK mark the beginning of Lent this week, new research suggests there may be something far …

Nissan Records Positive Third-Quarter Progress And Elevates FY2025 Outlook

Over the past two years, Nissan has been in a severe, multi-year financial crisis, with significant troubles extending into 2024 …

Unplugged Performance Launches Bed Storage Slider System For The Tesla Cybertruck

Insanely durable stainless steel sliding bed drawers built for mobile tool and supplies storage for jobsites, campsites, public safety, and …

Kia K4 Captures Motorweek’s Drivers’ Choice Award For Best Family Car

Since 1983, MotorWeek’s production team evaluates more than 150 cars, trucks, and SUVs every year. Drivers’ Choice Award winners, in 12 consumer-driven …